Old 19-03-2013, 12:07 AM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

[/quote]

Hi All,
I am attempting to turn over my soil and weeding my plot in preparation for planting. This digging work is sporadic due to the nature of the weather conditions.

I have also started a 5 gallon batch of EM's which should be ready for watering onto the soil when preparation is finished. These EM's will be watered on undiluted to the soil whereby the best effects of their introduction will be achieved. During the growing season I will regularly spray my crops with diluted EM's to prevent disease.

My Comfrey water butt will have an addition this season, I will be gathering Horsetail leaves and stuffing them into a nylon mesh bag and suspending them with the aid of a bamboo cane in the butt. I'm hopping that the mixture of Comfrey and Horsetail will provide some protection against blight which cost me my potato crop last season. I will also boil up Horsetail leaves and stems for use as a foliar spray on a 1:10 dilution using an unscented soap as an adherent to prevent runoff.

It should also be noted that I add a half litre of neat EM's to my Comfrey butt 3 or 4 times during the season to assist in the breakdown of the stems and foliage. This will I believe ensure that the liquid drawn off is in a form that is more easily assimilated by the roots of my crops.

With a TP type soil I have found out that EM's breakdown organic waste into a form which is much more readily available for VAM's to upload to the roots of VAM type plants. Now this being a symbiotic relationship the VAM receives nutrients and soluble carbon from the plant in kind. The more nutrition given to the plant the more nutrition received by the VAM, and therefore the more VAM spores within the soil through spore production. It is known that VAM spores have great longevity, therefore the more VAM type crops we cultivate, the more VAM spores within the soil.

uriel13

The mind is like aq parachute its totally useless unlessw its open