Old 19-03-2013, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Photinia species

On 2013-03-18 14:30:50 +0000, Spider said:

On 17/03/2013 15:41, Sacha wrote:
This is a very old Photinia in our garden. It's probably about 60
years
old and though Ray was told the name a long time ago, he can't
recall it
now. If anyone can hazard a guess at its id, we'd be grateful. I
like it
a LOT more than P Red Robin because I like its rusty colour more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Photinia 'Redstart'? It's reputed to be less fiery.

I don't think so, though thanks, Spider. The one we have is pretty old,
admittedly, but I don't think P Redstart gets large enough, even so.

How about P. davidiana, which can make a small/medium tree?
It may also be worth your while to check on Stranvaesi spp. since a
name change occurred between the two genera some time ago.

I think both are a distinct possibility. Ray just can't remember and
nothing suggested so far has jogged his memory at all. A man came to the
garden in the 80s (Keeper of the Valley Garden at Windsor) whose
knowledge was simply immense. He asked Ray if he was propagating that
Photinia and Ray said 'no'. This chap, John Bond, barked 'You should
be'! I tend to agree with him!

Well, I've just googled "Photinias at Valley Garden Windsor" and the
only Photoinia named is P. davidiana. Is it possible that John Bond
(having been inspired) managed to source the same Photinia as yours, or
that Ray gave him some cuttings material? Just a thought.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London