Old 24-03-2013, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Snow, wind and rain with power cuts too

In article ,
says...

Back in 1981 I think, i was a surveyor with the South Wales Electicity Board
and West Wales got hammered . Here in the Swansea valley my home was off
supply for 5 days while I was working in Cardiganshire 16 hours a day
sorting out HV problems there. The problem with my home supply was a simple
L V line tap that was disconnected but was there was so much damage else
where we had to wait.

We had 5 different Electricity Boards involved in fault repairs.

Bill

What I can not understand is why they still insist on
pylons and overhead wires/ Surely underground cables
would be better.

I know they say it costs more, but do they take
account of the costs of repairs and staff overtime for
the current type of situation?

With the expected (promised) weather variations due to
global warming or climate change or whatever they call
it now, such incidents are going to increase.

The supply up our valley is overhead cable, with
branches off up each farm track, with the exception of
one 30 meter section whic goes under my front, side
and back garden - paid for by the developer of our
group of 5 houses I suspect!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales