Old 28-03-2013, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Niger Seed

On 2013-03-27 22:46:44 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:28:21 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Although I've been aware of it, until all the snow
this week I've never wondered why so much niger seed
seems to be thrown onto the ground by the burds.

Is it really just discarded, or does niger seed,
despite its small size have a hard seed case that the
birds have to remove, and that is what I see scattered
on top of the snow?

The goldfinches that take the niger seed from my feeder are messy
eaters. For every seed they eat a couple of seeds drop to the ground
where other birds eat them.

Steve

I stopped feeding niger seed because of the wastage. I use 50% canary
seed, 50% sunflower hearts in my seed feeders and it seems to suit all
the small birds including goldfinches with very little wastage. For
chaffinches I use canary mix on a birdtable and have had 17 at once.
I also put very small grade grit out (the sort you can get for budgies)
and this is also popular.
Blackbirds love sultanas.

We have one container with nothing but sunflower seeds in it and the
greenfinches found it within one day. Now they and the bluetits battle
it out! The other seed containers are emptied almost every day. But the
fat balls and peanuts are virtually ignored. Yes, the peanuts are a
new batch! We've given up putting out niger seeds as nothing seems very
interested and the last lot started going mouldy. And we think/hope
firecrests may be thinking of nesting here. Certainly, one has been
seen feeding in hedges on the nursery.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com