Old 28-03-2013, 10:25 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post

I stopped feeding niger seed because of the wastage. I use 50% canary seed,
50% sunflower hearts in my seed feeders and it seems to suit all the small
birds including goldfinches with very little wastage.
It seems that goldfinches across the country are turning to kibbled sunflower hearts, and in may areas they prefer these to nyjer. Kibbled sunflower hearts can be fed from a normal seed feeder, and are taken by a range of birds, so it seems worth a change if your goldfinches like it.

My goldfinches are a conservative lot and are ignoring the kibbled sunflower in favour of nyjer
Quote:

Blackbirds love sultanas.
But sultanas even in small quantities can cause kidney disease in cats (and I think dogs), so are not suitable for ground feeding. OK on a table out of easy reach of cats and dogs.