Old 28-03-2013, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Niger Seed

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;979858 Wrote:

I stopped feeding niger seed because of the wastage. I use 50% canary
seed,
50% sunflower hearts in my seed feeders and it seems to suit all the
small
birds including goldfinches with very little wastage.

It seems that goldfinches across the country are turning to kibbled
sunflower hearts, and in may areas they prefer these to nyjer. Kibbled
sunflower hearts can be fed from a normal seed feeder, and are taken by
a range of birds, so it seems worth a change if your goldfinches like
it.

My goldfinches are a conservative lot and are ignoring the kibbled
sunflower in favour of nyjer

Blackbirds love sultanas.

But sultanas even in small quantities can cause kidney disease in cats
(and I think dogs), so are not suitable for ground feeding. OK on a
table out of easy reach of cats and dogs.

I did not know that - but I feed the sultanas on a bird table which the
blackbirds use. I do not ground feed because it encourages rats even more
than I do already by having poultry.

--

kay