Old 29-03-2013, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default OT but a welcome bit of brightness

Billy wrote:
Which choice gives the highest profits for the next quarter?

for some state sponsored trawlers on
the open seas it's not going to be about
profits, but sheer survival. at some
point in the future if we don't get a
grip on populations and manage the
topsoil better.

the book _soil_ by David Montgomery
was yesterday's reading list entry and
while interesting and containing some
points i'd not considered before it was
rather gloomy. repeated civilizations
collapsing because they mistreated their
topsoil.

ironic that Cuba is one of the
brightest agricultural spots and that
because they were embargoed.

It's going to be a tough row to hoe. Answers are being found, but
implementation is slow to non-existent. We all know that CO2 emissions
have to be curtailed, but is seems to be blocked by campaign financing,
which allows pipelines to be built to pump even more CO2 into the
atmosphere, 390 ppm and rising.

yep, it's going to be an interesting
time for the next few hundred years.

i was heartened to see that many
people in Michigan voted for a provision
to raise renewable requirements for
utilities. so it's not like people don't
care, but that they still are not a large
enough majority to force the changes
through. but if each of those people
who voted made the change with their
electricity provider directly to purchase
more green power they could already make
the change and not even need a new law
to do it. this is an option for people
and it already exists.

the counterargument to the pipeline thing
is that currently companies are shipping the
oil via rail to get around the distribution
bottleneck. which isn't very good for things
either.

somehow though we gotta get the fossil
fuel monkey off our backs or get the
technology in place to sequester all the
CO2 from burning it plus also set up CO2
sucking plants to reduce the level back
to more reasonable levels.

this should already be happening no
matter what the laws and governments say.
it can be done. there's nothing technically
impossible, just gotta do it.

Got about half of my garden beds prepped. Even without digging, it wore
me out. Good sweat though ;O)

i can still find frozen ground here.
the sun was out most of the day and some
flowers made progress. maybe by Saturday
there will be some blooms.

aren't squash blooms edible?

songbird