Old 24-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Just bought 2 Koi

Congrats on your new acquisitions! They look quite happy in their new home.

Water hyacinths are fine in your pond. They absorb excess nutrients and are
frequently used in veggie filters to filter the water: those funny little
roots of theirs catch a lot of "stuff". Worry about the fish eating them?
Naw, it's guaranteed! They like those fuzzy roots. I usually take mine out
and recycle them to rest homes, i.e., new plants in, chewed root plants out
back to rest and regroup. I've been advised that eventually this won't be
necessary, that the WH will overgrow my pond, but I don't see that happening
(not quite yet, at least!) The fish may just hide under them, too. They like
a little privacy in their lives, doesn't make them feel quite so "exposed".
3.5 feet deep is a nice pond for them.

Good luck, and have fun!

Lee

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/koi1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/koi2.jpg

Any advice for a first time Koi owner? Is it okay to have Water
Hiacinthe (spelling..) in my pond? I heard they eat up all the nutrients
in the water. Do I have to worry about animals trying to eat them? My
pond is about 3.5 feet deep.

Thanks