Old 30-03-2013, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default OT Unknown bird id

In article ,
says...

On 2013-03-30 10:20:44 +0000, kay said:

'Sacha[_10_ Wrote:
;979912']

I don't think so, Bob but thank you. I think the mistle thrush that
was suggested on the bird group is more probable. I'll have to remember

to take camera and recorder to our room!

Are you assuming that the strange sound is being emitted by the pair in
the cedar tree, or do you know that? It's conceivable that you have two
new birds! That said, the mistle thrush alarm call is more like a night
jar than the fieldfare alarm call. And if they're really nesting, then
mistlethrush is resident, fieldfare is a winter visitor. Surprised
you've not seen mistle thrushes before, though. They're not that common,
but we have them gobbling our holly berries every year.

I'm assuming! But it would be quite a coincidence. In fact, when I went
hunting round the bird call sites, I did think a nightjar was most
similar, other than the small fact of this bird being active throughout
the day.

And the fact it's a migratory summer visitor, arrives late April to
mid May; given the cold spring and their insect diet, an early arrival
seems unlikely.

Janet