Old 30-03-2013, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Niger Seed

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I stopped feeding niger seed because of the wastage. I use 50% canary
seed,
50% sunflower hearts in my seed feeders and it seems to suit all the
small
birds including goldfinches with very little wastage. For chaffinches I
use
canary mix on a birdtable and have had 17 at once.
I also put very small grade grit out (the sort you can get for budgies)
and
this is also popular.
Blackbirds love sultanas.

The goldfinches and siskins here seem to flit between
the niger and the seed mix (I use a mix of kibbled
sunflower hearts and dried meal worms) although the
goldfinches tend to prefer the seed mix, siskins will
from the other.

--
Roger T

I don't seem to get siskins, or maybe I do and just don't see them.
Had a green woodpecker calling in my garden two days ago.
boast