Old 30-03-2013, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default OT Unknown bird id

On 2013-03-29 17:41:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

For the last few days I've seen a couple of birds (probably a pair)
flying into the old Cedar tree at the bottom of our lawn. They also walk
on the ground below the tree, probably feeding and/or collecting nesting
material. They seem fairly 'bold' and not scared off when I opened the
window or other birds fly around them.

This morning, I saw them mobbing a rook & driving it off, so perhaps
they were objecting to it investigating their nest. That tree is also a
rookery. I'm the only one that's seen them and that's from our bedroom
window which is quite a distance from the tree. At best guess, I'd say
that they're roughly the size of a blackbird, perhaps a bit bigger and
may have a light or speckled breast.

This morning some of the nursery team heard a bird call they'd never
heard before and I heard it this afternoon. It's an extremely fast sound
and made me think of someone sawing wildly at a violin! Greg thought it
was like a car alarm going off! I've tried id-ing the sound on the
various sites and the closest seems to be a nightjar but the behaviour
surely makes that impossible? It's around during the day! Anyone got
any suggestions as to what it could possibly be? I'm assuming it's
something that isn't usually in these parts and that - perhaps - extreme
weather in other parts of the country have driven it further SW. The
general behaviour looks as if it's building a nest in the Cedar or at
least, thinking about it. Naturally, when I went outside and stood
there like a frozen thing this afternoon, it didn't show as much as a
wingtip!

Try listening to a Fieldfare, seems to fit the description.

I don't think so, Bob but thank you. I think the mistle thrush that was
suggested on the bird group is more probable. I'll have to remember to
take camera and recorder to our room!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

With the limited informaion I thought of Mistle Thrush as well.

Bill