Old 30-03-2013, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default It's snailing, hnowing or whatever

On 30/03/2013 20:08, kay wrote:
'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;979941']On 30/03/2013 12:06, wrote:-
The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Anyway, we have just had a shower of it here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.-

You should ask an Inuit. They probably have as many words for it as the

forms in which it exists (more snow than hail; more hail than snow,
equal amounts, etc). Then decide on an English translation.

--

Jeff

Why bother with an english translation? We don't usually, we just
swallow words whole.

eg tsunami

Good point - we already have "igloo". But there doesn't appear to be an
Inuit word for snow/hail combination. The nearest I can find is
"kanevvluk" - fine snow/rain particles.

--

Jeff