Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sewing between Runner beans

In article , wrote:
Judith in England wrote:
I realise that once the beans become really established - there is much foliage
and I suspect little direct sunlight getting through them to the ground between
the rows.

You could do the whole 3 sisters thing - beans up sweetcorn with a
ground cover of courgettes. Although tbh, I tried it and it didn't
work so well. But courgettes and beans should* work /after/ the
beans are established (so the courgettes don't block their light)

The reason that the three sisters technique doesn't work in the
UK is our limit is sunlight. Climbing beans and cucurbits does
work, and I do it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.