Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM
pol_bishop25 pol_bishop25 is offline
Registered User

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Maintenance View Post
What is the situation like now ? Last year was unbelievably wet but still you should'nt have had that much of a problem. Possible causes;

1)There is something under the lawn restricting natural drainage such as compacted subsoil or builders rubble.
2)There is a burst water pipe or natural spring under you garden
3)The builders have put clayey subsoil in your garden

None of these are out of the question as builders are renown for not giving a s..t about what is under the lawn. It's usually full of rubble which has been compacted to within an inch of it's life by the heavy machinery and constant traffic during the building process. This rubble and crappy subsoil is then covered with an inch of topsoil and turfed over. It looks good for a little while and then the problems start to appear at which point the developer does'nt want to know. You are lucky that they have done anything at all.

I have looked at LOTS of lawns on new estates with this and other problems (usually dying lawns) and have had to give the homeowner the bad news about what their garden "soil" actually consists of.

Good luck with this and i am more than willing to give you any more advice you require.

Stuart.
Thanks, mate. You have just solved a mystery for myself. In my case the subsoil was the problem, but this is far beyond my competition to figure out. Again big thanks, it is fixed now.