Old 28-02-2003, 05:05 AM
Elpaninaro

Default To all Paph sanderianum growers

Now that I understand better that you want to keep a couple of compots warm
and humid I was thinking maybe you could invest in a 10 gallon aquarium.

I was thinking you could put small stones or egg crate on the bottom and
have some water in the bottom to keep the humidity high. A small clip on
fan would keep the air moving. Heat could be supplied by the heating mat.

If you did it right it wouldn't be too ugly either.

Hi Gene,

That would be a good idea I think. The thought of an aquarium had crossed my
mind after an email I received last summer from one of the sanderianum growers.

He told me that doing just what you suggest- aquarium with heat source, water
for humidity and a fan- he not only has kept all the plants alive, but got
incredible growth results.

Actually looking at the burpee site tonight, I found for $26 a mini greenhouse
with a heating pad underneath and thought that might be worth a shot too. Not
the same air circulation capacity, but might be a good thing to experiment with
for the first few weeks from flask.

I figure if I get the aquarium, that greenhouse and then just leave some
heating pad space in the open, then that experimental sukhakulii flask can be
shared among the three- and hopefully some good results will come!

Take care,

Tom.