Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Sewing between Runner beans

In article pj9jl8lm9l06icad60sun21r8hlejc95uj@
4ax.com, says...

I don't have a big garden - so I want to make most of space. I will be growing
two rows of runner beans (Red Rum) - about 4ft apart coming up support poles to
an A apex.

I wonder - is there anything I could usefully grow in between the rows of
beans?

I realise that once the beans become really established - there is much foliage
and I suspect little direct sunlight getting through them to the ground between
the rows.

Any ideas?

Sorry for a delayed response, I've been away for a few
days!

Why 4ft apart I wonder. I put my poles about 18" to
2ft apart, and never had a problem. I use saplings cut
from the fields, near the river bank (with the farmers
permission of course) about 7-8ft tall. Formed into a
X shape, with the poles crossing about 1ft from the
top. Other poles are then tied into the cross shape
along the row to provide the stablilty. The rows run
north/south.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales