Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sacha - The Badger

"The Original Jake" wrote in message
Finally, with the aid of £150 worth of metal poles, chain-link
fencing, concrete and kerb-stones I seem to have successfully excluded
that badger from the garden. At least there's been no sign of him for
a week (I spread some sand on the "outside" of my newly-constructed 8
foot long by 6 foot tall barrier and there are no badger footprints
in it though I seem to have possibly 2 foxes around).

Only trouble was that the blighter managed to totally destroy about 25
square feet of lawn every night he got in. I have about a square yard
in the middle left, the rest is wrecked. Galling in that I've spent
the last few years refurbishing that lawn, biting off about a third
each spring, and was looking forward to it looking as I wanted this
year. Now it all needs to be done again.

He also dug down a fair bit in the gravel paths but, for some reason,
totally ignored a freshly cleared and dug border that he had to walk
over to get in and out of the garden.

C'est la vie.

When a neighbour said he'd seen a badger in his garden, my heart dropped.
They can be a real problem in gardens and they are worse than foxes at
breaking into chicken huts because they are so strong (and yes, they *do*
eat chickens)
Anyway, he's not been seen recently. Phew.

The barriers you have put in place should be sufficient.
I had to do a similar thing against foxes, the important thing is the
kerbstones under the fenceline so they cannot dig in.
Lots of luck that your badger defences work.

Tina