Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Beechgrove Reminder

On 06/04/2013 12:38, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:07:16 +0100, wrote:

On 05/04/2013 18:09, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 05/04/2013 17:17, Spider wrote:
It is also possible that the original four presenters don't want to take
on those 'travel and trowel' jobs away from their home territory.

ah but the presenters did travel around but gave good sound advice about
sensible predicaments like trying to solve front garden dilemmas on a
new estate and even helped schools build gardens. They did mainly travel
around Scotland but then they didn't try and convince the owners to
plant Phormiums etc.

I can't see why they have to nationalise it, why not (now here's a good
idea)copy them and do a similar programme from England and Wales.

Indeed, that is an excellent idea! Alas, it is probably called
Gardeners' World. I have been watching GW, but I ache for the days when
Geoff Hamilton presented it. He inspired both old and new gardeners
alike. Sigh.

Beechgrove was a celeb free programme for pragmatic gardeners.

Agreed. Refreshingly down to earth and informative. Gardening doesn't
need celebs; in fact, they detract from it. The camera should be on the
plants, landscape or, as required, on the hands of the presenter if a
technique is being demonstrated.

I want a gardening programme that inspires me to get out in the garden.
Celebs that 'sell' gardening have the same effect as shop assistants
who try to sell me something: they just make me walk out. A genuine,
expert gardener (self-taught is as good as certificated to me) whose
down-to-earth enthusiasm glows from within and who inspires by example
is just what we want. To some extent, Monty Don does that, but I still
think that Toby Buckland, *left to his own devices*, could have filled
that gap that St. Geoff vacated.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London