Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buddleia

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 21:14:00 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 07/04/2013 17:58, wrote:
I cut them back to 3' in the autumn, but they have suffered badly.
They aren't dead, but most of the live shoots are near the top. My
concern is that, if I cut them back into very old wood, they may not
survive it. If I don't cut them back hard, they will get out of hand.
Any comments?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Leave them at 3', and take cuttings from what grows this year. Then
after the cuttings have rooted, replace the old plant if it is too
leggy.

They are easy to strike. But I cut one back well into old wood a few
years ago, and it croaked. It still lives on from a cutting, but I think
I need to take some more as it's getting overwhelmed by a pyracantha.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy