Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Arbutus unedo (Strawberry tree)

"rbel" wrote ...

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.

Mother had one in her Sussex garden about 200 yards from the sea. No problem
with wind or salt at all as far as I could see, always had flowers and fruit
on it too although I never saw another plant around. To describe it as a
tree is stretching it a bit, I do know one near the Thames, but it's usually
a shrub and slow growing at that.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.