Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Arbutus unedo (Strawberry tree)

On 08/04/2013 07:46, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 22:01:11 +0100, rbel wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.

Certainly hardy enough in southern England, and possibly further
north. Grows wild in southern Ireland, in extensive 'forests' AIUI. I
had one in my previous garden in mid-Cornwall, but it got blown down
when about 8 ft tall. I have two down here in west Cornwall, but
they're just youngsters. Supposed to be salt-wind tolerant; I hope so,
they'll be getting the full blast of Atlantic gales in a year or two
when they get taller. Said to require two plants for cross pollination
in order to set the fruit, which I believe are edible but
unremarkable. As I got my two from the same nursery, and as they
probably originated from the same plant originally, I wonder if mine
qualify as being genetically different in order to pollinate each
other. The one I had in my previous garden was so-say self fertile;
perhaps they all are these days. The fruit take twelve months to
ripen, IIRC. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_unedo
or google for it for more information.

When I worked in S. Glamorgan a client in Prnarth had one in his very
crowded front garden, it stood about 10 ft tall and had fruit every year
which ripened, not a bad taste, but not something to rave over.