Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default OT but a welcome bit of brightness

In article
,
Billy wrote:
Only problem I see is who the hell is Jay Green? I'm not saying that he
is lying, but Pollan is an established journalist, and University
professor. Who would you believe, and why? It would be easier if Mr.
Green could make his bona fides known.

Among other things, he's one of very few folks that can (or at least
does) raise healthy cornish cross, and he's got actual farm experience,
which I rather doubt Pollan has. And he freely admits that this is the
observations of a single visit, but I would doubt he has much interest
in making another, given that he's a farmer, not a reporter, and he
wasn't overly thrilled with what he saw. Seems likely that post-Pollan
publicity may have changed things at Polyface, but I really don't know.

Heck, he uses some of what Salatin writes about - he was just not too
excited to go to the source and find that reality (at that time) did not
match the writings.

He showed up on my radar in discussing fermented chicken feed, and
pasturing/foraging cornish cross. The pictures of his cornish cross
flock right up to slaughter day were impressive, having seen a flock
which friends had in a "chicken tractor" that nevertheless ended up in
the more typical bedraggled, lame, kill-me-now-please state that is
considered "normal" for cornish cross. I have not raised cornish cross,
but until I saw his, I wouldn't even have considered it (though I am
presently "out of chickens" and just as happy to be, at present.)

As such, I consider his insight on raising chickens to be pretty well
founded, to the extent that I can judge anyone on the internet I've not
met. YMMV.