Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default OT but a welcome bit of brightness

In article
,
Billy wrote:
I thank you for introducing me to Permies; http://www.permies.com/.
What groups does Jay Green post in, or is it just Permies?

Several farming and poultry sites; when I was researching the use of
fermented feeds, his stuff came up in several places since he's someone
who does it and posts about it.

Be aware that permies is somewhat prone to being what its owner wants to
hear - minor discussion is allowed, major disagreements vanish into thin
air, leaving only what he agrees with (not even a "post deleted by
moderator" message.) I thought more highly of it before I saw that
happen a few times. I haven't been back much since then. I prefer to
talk with grown ups, or wise children.

I like tree and bush crops and "permanent agriculture." When lazy and
efficient are the same thing, I'm all for that kind of lazy.

permaculture-with-a-capital-P seems to be more about paying money to
take courses to get certified to teach courses that you charge people
money for so they can get certified, in my somewhat jaundiced view. I
don't find it all that compelling, though it has produced some materials
I think worthy of a read, so long as I'm not paying an arm and a leg for
them, or required to believe (or pretend to believe) everything in
them...but there are also good books on the subject that predate the
certification-mad folks.