Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let It Be View Post

Be aware that if the hedges grow too big and sucks up enough water out of
the clay, then that could cause subsidence - or if after many years, they
decide to cut them back, then that could cause ground-heave. Both
situations are enough to give insurance companies large fits.

Probably not worth worrying about with small hedges, but the effects could
make themselves very plain if those hedges are neglected and left to grow to
a rather graceful and pleasing size.
For what it's worth, we have a copper beech about 10 ft from our house. Every few years I ask the church to trim a few branches before they start knocking our roof slates off. Neither surveyors nor insurance assessors have batted an eyelid. But then I think we're on "non-shrinkable clay", our foundations are a good 10 ft below the ground surface where the beech is, and removing a tree of that size will arguably give more problems than leaving it be.