Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Something unusual on the feeder today...

"Dave Poole" wrote ...

Soft blue and even white variations also exist although the colour variants
rarely occur in wild populations or last for long due to them being more
easily targeted by predators. I had a blue male and yellow female many
years ago - my intention being to breed them for whites. Their incessant
screeching put paid to that plan and I passed them back to the breeder.

They are obvious in the winter with no leaves on the trees but it always
amazes me how such a brightly coloured bird can disappear amongst leaves in
the summer, if they kept quiet.
Can you imagine what is was like at Esher Rugby Club where 4,000+ used to
roost every evening. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.