Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Copper Beech Hedge

In article , lid says...

Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47,
wrote:
In ,
wrote:

A neighbour and friend of mine is about to plant a copper beech
hedge. One section of hedge will be on their boundary between their
own suburban garden and the next. Another section will be between
their drive and front steps *and within 6ft of the house frontage*.
I confess this rang alarm bells with me.

Am I worrying unnecessarily, or is there a real risk to their home
once this hedge is established? I would really appreciate any help
with this, not least because the *copper* beeches mark a copper
wedding anniversary and I don't want to spoil their romantic joy in
planting this hedge.

The main risk is if the house has some extremely dubious drains
or foundations, or they let it get completely out of hand.
I wouldn't worry about a hedge like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thank you, Nick, that is reassuring. I will tell them, with
appropriate warnings of dire consequences should they lapse with
their trimming regime. On London Clay and with a postcode that makes
insurance companies nervous, there are always concerns about
foundations and drains. However, they are sensible people and will,
I am sure, keep both panic and hedge under control.
Thanks again.

Be aware that if the hedges grow too big and sucks up enough water out of
the clay, then that could cause subsidence - or if after many years, they
decide to cut them back, then that could cause ground-heave. Both
situations are enough to give insurance companies large fits.

Probably not worth worrying about with small hedges, but the effects could
make themselves very plain if those hedges are neglected and left to grow to
a rather graceful and pleasing size.

Pretty unlikely to happen, given that the hedge is 6ft from the front
windows and front steps to the front door..

Janet