Old 09-04-2013, 07:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
MICHELLE H. MICHELLE H. is offline

Default Cheap Topsoil/Fill??

Thanks for all the great answers. Yeah, this looks to be a BIG job. The
old guy who lived in the house before us had hardly any grass at all.
From what I understand from neighbors, is that he had a HUGE vegetable
garden in the backyard, and flowers all on the side of the house, and in
the front yard. Neighbors said that the whole front yard was ALL
entirely flowers, no grass!! He hardly had any grass at all. When he
passed away, no one cared for the flowers, and grass and weeds grew
everywhere.

One of the neighbors said that on the property line with the next door
neighbor, instead of putting up a fence like most people, he had a
flower bed that ran down about 50 - 60 feet on the side of the house
that seperated the 2 yards.

So this is the reason why there is now a long rut there. I guess he
filled in about 30 feet of the rut though, because he planted "Rose Of
Sharon" bushes on the property line when he was getting older and
couldn't take care of so many flowers. The neighbors said he had about 2
or 3 truckloads of "loam" delivered to the yard.

I'm just wondering, why did he make the flower bed so deep!? It's not
just 30 feet long, and 1-2 feet wide, but deep as well, about 1-2 feet!!
I assume he must have dug out all the soil, and probably used it for his
garden in the backyard??