Old 11-04-2013, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cheap Topsoil/Fill?? UPDATE!!!!

MICHELLE H. wrote:
Just to get an accurate measurement, I went out there today with a
tape measure, and measured the entire rut in the lawn, and boy was I
WAY OFF!!!!!!! The rut is about 40 feet long, not 30 feet long. It is
3 feet wide, not 2 feet wide. And it is roughly about 4 inches deep,
not 1-2 feet deep. The depth varies in differnt spots. In one spot it
was about 3 inches deeper than the rest of the lawn. In another spot
it was 3 and 1/2 inches deeper. In another spot it was 4 inches
deeper than the rest of the lawn. So the entire rut is about 3-4
inches deep.

The reason I originally said it was 1-2 feet deep is because that's
how deep it feels when your standing in it!!!!

But using a tape measure, the more accurate measurement is actually 40
feet long, 3 feet wide, and 3-4 inches deep.

Is this still impossible and too expensive to fill with bags of
topsoil bought at retail?

What cost is "too expensive"?

Your ditch is about (40 x 3 x 1/3) 40 cubic ft. What is the volume of a
bag? I don't know what size bags are offered (the label will probably tell
you if you look ) if you don't have one phone the supplier and ask.

Do the sums, that is divide 40 by the number of cubic ft per bag. What
will this number of bags cost you? Hint: take the number of bags and
multipliy by the cost per bag. How will you get them home? Take the total
number of bags and divide by the number that will fit in your car to work
out how many trips.

After this you will have some facts. Then ask yourself is it too expensive
for you.