Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Cheap Topsoil/Fill?? UPDATE!!!!

MICHELLE H. wrote:
Just to get an accurate measurement, I went out there today with a
tape measure, and measured the entire rut in the lawn, and boy was I
WAY OFF!!!!!!! The rut is about 40 feet long, not 30 feet long. It is
3 feet wide, not 2 feet wide. And it is roughly about 4 inches deep,
not 1-2 feet deep. The depth varies in differnt spots. In one spot it
was about 3 inches deeper than the rest of the lawn. In another spot
it was 3 and 1/2 inches deeper. In another spot it was 4 inches
deeper than the rest of the lawn. So the entire rut is about 3-4
inches deep.

The reason I originally said it was 1-2 feet deep is because that's
how deep it feels when your standing in it!!!!

But using a tape measure, the more accurate measurement is actually 40
feet long, 3 feet wide, and 3-4 inches deep.

Is this still impossible and too expensive to fill with bags of
topsoil bought at retail?

It would still be less expensive to buy bulk topsoil. That's about 40 cu ft, or
about 1.5 cubic yard. You could buy bagged soil, but it will cost you a lot
more. Before you buy anything, at least price soil at a bulk dealer. Ask at
nearby nurseries for where to get that much bulk soil, or look up topsoil in the
yellow pages.