Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Cheap Topsoil/Fill?? UPDATE!!!! ( David )

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:26:26 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

MICHELLE H. wrote:
Well I know that the generic, debris-filled cheap $1.50 topsoil bag at
Home Depot is 40 pounds. The "Scotts: Premium" topsoil is $1.98 and
comes in a 30 pound bag. All the bags of "Organic" topsoil run
anywhere from $5 dollars to $7 dollars a bag at my local garden
center, and they all come in 40 pound bags as well.

The weight of soil per cubic foot varies with its content, moisture and
compactness. Picking a typical figure say 80lbs per cuft. So your bags are
about half a cuft each. So you need about 80 bags which will cost about
$150-500 (depending on which one you buy) and weigh about 3200lbs, which is
looking like quite a lot of trips in the family car. Perhaps try asking a
local landscape supplier what the price of 2 cubic yards (a little more than
you need) delivered would be. It may not be cheaper for a small quantity
like that but it may be more practical. Consider how close the delivery
truck (or your car ) can get to the site as you will have to carry or barrow
it the rest of the way.

I've purchased good quality bagged topsoil by the pallet, each pallet
was 60 bags, equals 1 cu yd, $200 a pallet delivered, got two
pallets... but All State paid... some moron drove way into my property
in early spring and got bogged down in mud.. I chose to repair the
ruts myself... The driver's insurance paid for the topsoil, a fifty
pound sack of grass seed, and paid my labor, 16 hours at $15/hr.
http://i48.tinypic.com/27zb6dx.jpg
Actually all I did is spend an hour stomping down the ruts wearing
heavy boots and once it dried a bit smushed it flat with my tractor
tires, I still have the seed and soil that I occasionally put to other
use. I'd never buy that much bagged soil if I had to pay... around
here excellent bulk topsoil runs about $40/yd delivered with a 3 yd
minimum. Most of those bags of topsoil are still stacked in my barn,
Newt likes to sleep on them:
http://i46.tinypic.com/sx2al5.jpg