Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Advice on which type of Passion Flower to go for?

On 10/04/2013 13:21, orangejayd wrote:

Hi

I'm going to be buying a Passion vine and need to know which type to go
for that would survive cold weather.

It'll be kept in the wheelhouse of a boat which is un-insulated, so it
will be protected from the wind but the tempreture will be pretty much
the same as outdoors, which is pretty chilly most of the time. I'm
guessing during Summer it'd have almost a greenhouse affect for the
plant, if we manage to have any Summer that is.

Anyone know of any good types of vines that are pretty hardcore through
cold weather but still have the colourful scented flowers too?

Thanks in advance!

The only passion flower with a degree of frost resistance in the UK is
Passiflora caerulea (Blue Passion Flower). Some of its hybrids show a
similar degree of frost resistance.

But all top growth will be cut back to ground level in a severe frost.
Usually, in milder parts, growth will restart in spring, as the parts of
the plant below ground are protected to some extent from being frozen.
And P. caerulea roots can go fairly deep and spread widely. However, in
your case the roots would also freeze as they would be in a pot, and the
plant would die.

If you have a frost-free place (kitchen window?) you could take some
cuttings, as Passiflora roots easily. New plants can be grown quickly
once the weather warms up (if it warms up...) to replace any that have died.

But have you considered just how fast Passiflora grows once it gets
going? You'll need a machete to get onto your boat after couple of
weeks. :-)

--

Jeff