Old 12-04-2013, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Red[_2_] Red[_2_] is offline

Default Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash!

On Apr 11, 2:40*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
goldtech wrote:
Hi,

I think there's a virus killing my winter and summer squash. The
leaves have yellow spots and they are curling, growth is stunted.

Does anyone know a source of non-gmo virus resistant seeds? Or variety
names I can search for that are resistant?

Thanks very much!

Lee G.

No. *I've about gotten rid of mosaic virus in my squash by going on a
catnip eradication campaign, and spraying/dusting with insecticide at
the first sign of cucumber beetles. *I think the catnip part was the
key, because I seldom get any cucumber beetles, and because the virus
usually infected the squash shortly after they started blooming if any
catnip was blooming nearby.

Bob

That probably explains my squash problem. I plant yellow and zucchini
squash and the yellow type dies before producing and the zucchini dies
after a couple of pickings. I also had been planting nearby wild
flowers (+catnip?) to attract bees for pollination and to draw insects
out of the garden, but I may well have been providing a storage source
for the MV. Our honey bees are gone and other type bees, except for
the darn carpenters, are few so I thought an attractant might be
beneficial but may be a hindrance.