Old 28-02-2003, 05:30 AM
Tony Sanders

Default VF...1 Foot Deep Enough?

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 00:27:23 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

I would go 18 inches, BV. That is the depth the books
on Veggie Filters claim is best.

Nedra

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message

One ft should be fine. Are you putting your plants in pots?
Paul

My first and, to date, most successful VF was just a few inches deep
.... in my view, it is the throughput of water that is critical. My
present VF is 8 inches deep (75 litres capacity) and again relies upon
a rapid throughput of water.

I don't put the plants in any form of substrate or in a pot ... I just
lay them in the filter with roots exposed. A silt substrate soon
builds up leaving most fo the roots still exposed to the flow of
water.

As in all things, it is what works for you.

Tony Sanders
New Zealand/Aotearoa

Proud holders of the America's Cup