Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default which greenhouse? Help very much appreciated.

"Phil Gurr" wrote in message ...

"kerrygirl" wrote in message

Hello,
I hope someone can help me.I want to purchase a greenhouse for
germinating flower seeds. I've done some research and have decided to go
for polycarbonate. The thing is I live in the west of Ireland, the site
is somewhat exposed, there is a small hedge at the west of it.

I have seen greenhouses by different companies ( I don't know if I'm
allowed to mention names here ) but some are priced in the 2000 euro
range, another same size 750 euro. The difference is the thickness of
the polycarbonate, 6mm/4mm.

I need advice please. Which should I go for. Is there a difference in
the thickness of the structure.

Hi Kerrygirl
For many years I lived on the west coast of Scotland and I think that
our weather was very similar to yours. In a gale, things blow about
and polycarbonate is far more resistant to things blowing into it
than glass. Also remember that most greenhouses are designed for
use in the London suburbs and would not last 5 minutes in one of
your gales. Go for strength - and that does not always relate to
price. If anyone near you has a greenhouse, go and talk to them
and see what it is like. And remember (and everyone on the group
will tell you this) get the biggest one you can afford - and then get
one size bigger (:-))

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland, 40 miles N. of Inverness

Phil sorry I have to disagree with you .........

""" In a gale, things blow about and polycarbonate is far more resistant to
things blowing into it
than glass """

The Poly greenhouse down the road to me has blown out twice 'at least'
whereas ours, Ali and glass has been no trouble at all .

Also, Poly doesn't give the 'right sort' of light. My daughter has a large
'Victorian' Style greenhouse , which used to supply the Manor House Hotel
when she had it, but doesn't have the success my wife does in our 10 x 8 ;-)
"Quantity? Yes, Quality? No" ........... but my wife does have well over 50
years of gardening experience ;-)

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight