Old 13-04-2013, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Compost?

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:34:57 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off seeds or
just use the general purpose stuff?

After a bit of experimenting, I now use a 2:1 mix of seed compost and
coir. If I cover seeds, I always use vermiculite, never compost.

I've used both pure coir and pure seed compost in the past and had
reasonable results but I find I get better germination rates and far
better root growth with the mix I now use.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!