Old 13-04-2013, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Compost?

In article 14rim81tqsja5fbq45iael2s2v48i5l4su@
4ax.com, says...

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off seeds or
just use the general purpose stuff?

Unlike most responses to date, I just use a
multipurpose compost for eveything, and I do not seem
to have any problems. Just come in from planting some
brassicas in trays, ground is still too cold.

Thinking about that, my ground is very difficult to
break down into a fine tilth, so any seeds that are
planted straight outside have to battle with large
lumps and small stones as well.

Mind you I do not plant much in the way of flowers,
being mainly a vegetable gardener, although I always
plant swmbo sweet pea seeds, again in multpurpose
compost. I use some collapsable ploythene pots that
must be approaching 25 years only, they came with us
here some 18+ years ago. They've spent today outside
in the rain, and it looks like next week, I'll be
pinching the tops out as they reach the 3/4 leaf
stage.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales