Old 13-04-2013, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Compost?

On 13/04/2013 15:34, Judith in England wrote:

I wonder do people use the seedling specific composts for starting off seeds or
just use the general purpose stuff?

I always used B & Q multi-purpose compost, put thorough a 1cm sieve then
with 1 part to 6 of medium Perlite added.
Now having bought bales of peat I will be mixing my own since they
ruined B & Q compost last year.
Regarding covering seeds, some seeds require light to germinate, these I
either cover with perlite or sow onto a covering of perlite, (You could
use vermiculite). then a sheet of glass.
Seeds that require darkness I cover with compost then glass then paper.