Old 24-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Natty_Dread

Default Identify this weed

"SugarChile" wrote in message
news
Could be violets, here's some pictures:
http://altnature.com/gallery/violet.htm

Or possibly henbit:
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/lamam.htm

Violets are welcome in my lawn. They are beautiful, and the leaves are an
important food for the larval stages of some butterflies. They only
flower
in the spring, then the leaves merge into the general green of the lawn.
I'm not as fond of henbit, but it doesn't worry me; I pull it from the
flower beds, and ignore it in the lawn. It grows most vigorously in the
spring, and fades into obscurity when it gets shorn by the mower.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

I looked at those two pages, and unfortunately it's not violets! I wish it
were. It looks kind of like henbit, but that page said henbit grows to 16
inches tall and these are much smaller, more like 6 inches. Also, the tips
of what's in my yard don't look like the henbit flowers. They look more
like a decorative leaf than a flower. Can you tell I'm obssessing about
this? heheh

Thanks for the info, though...I think i'll plant violets somewhere and see
if I can get them to grow!

Rhonda

"Natty_Dread" wrote in message
Hi everyone! I'm here in the DC suburbs of Northern VA, zone 7a/b. For
some reason this year, strange weedies I've never seen before have

sprouted
ALL OVER my lawn. They're about six inches high (no, we're not

slackers,
we've just had a lot of rain recently and haven't mowed the grass yet

for
fear of compacting the soil) and have straight stems with little leaves

that
look almost like ivy topped with small purple flowering things. These
things are taking over our back yard, and as I said, I've never seen

them
before -- we've been here almost three years and we generally just get
clover and other leafy weed-type things in the lawn. Any ideas on what

they
might be and the best way to get rid of them without killing the grass?
Thanks in advance!

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA