Old 14-04-2013, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default Monty Don & Gardners World 12 April

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 22:38:55 +0100, Jake wrote:

Conversely I suspect that MD has a bit more influence over things than
Sacha's post suggests.

snip cogent points

I suggest that MD might be playing some sort of game here, although it isn't clear what the agenda might be.

He could easily have said to the expert "Yes, we leave the old bulbs in place because of X". I doubt that things
are that tightly scripted he couldn't have done that. AFAIWC it was an opportunity lost, orchids don't get much of
a mention in comparison to sweet peas or brassicas, yet they are reasonably popular house plants.

Hence I no longer watch GW and will not until someone announces that MD
is no longer presenting it and we no longer have to endure little more
than a tweak round the edges at his place and only then in the way that
he gardens.

I sense a change in the programme's approach, and getting away from Longmeadows was a welcome change,
but I have to say we watch GW more in hope than expectation.

Geoff Hamilton introduced me to coir instead of peat years ago by
explaining. MD simply put me off organic gardening by pontificating. I
will be eternally grateful that my formative gardening years were not,
in any way, influenced by MD!

Perhaps MD falls between the two stools of the 'old time' gardeners and the modern approach.

--
Terry Fields