Old 14-04-2013, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default Monty Don & Gardners World 12 April

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:17:48 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 22:38:55 +0100, Jake wrote:

Conversely I suspect that MD has a bit more influence over things
than Sacha's post suggests.

snip cogent points

I suggest that MD might be playing some sort of game here, although it
isn't clear what the agenda might be.

He could easily have said to the expert "Yes, we leave the old bulbs in
place because of X". I doubt that things are that tightly scripted he
couldn't have done that.

You miss the point.GW is not live to air. You're watching a recorded,
edited, shorter version of film and sound track which took many hours
and repetitions to film and record on several different cameras.

It's entirely possible, his script did say that and so did he, on film
or on the sound recording. Then it was edited out, when all the
material filmed was selected, edited, and re-organised to fit into 40
minutes.
Janet.

Well, if the editor isn't a gardener, or takes advice on the editing from someone who is, then it's inevitable that
the gems are sometimes going to fall by the wayside leaving us with not enough information to make the clip
worth showing in the first place. And that leads to a poor programme and people turning away from it. We could
have learned twice as much about Cimbidiums for the want of a short sentence.

--
Terry Fields