Old 14-04-2013, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Help?

SamM3124 wrote:
Hey guys and gals!

Hope all is well with you all.

I am moving into a new apartment in a couple of weeks, the apartment
has a small balcony that I wanted to make the most of. I was thinking
about growing some herbs and maybe some vegetables. I live in
Birmingham UK and wanted to know if anyone had any
tips/suggestions/hints etc. I have never done this sort of thing but
am very interested in starting to make use of my new space.

I was thinking of getting a couple of balcony boxes that hang from the
railings and maybe a floor one - not to sure yet as I want to make the
most of the space (maybe a couple of chairs too!)

Get a few larger boxes not many small ones, they will not dry out so fast.
Drying out is always a problem with small containers, even in your miserable
summer you will have to watch your watering. Which way does the balcony
face? Try to expose your plants to the sun but protect from the wind.

Any particular herbs and/or vegetables that are good to grow on a
balcony? Any ideas how to get started etc.

Your winter is too cool and dark to grow much well, some things might
survive but hardly prosper. You might get some hardy perenial herbs to
over-winter or some brassicas to grow but I wouldn't try as a first effort.
Some herbs and annuals like lettuce, chard, parsley etc that don't require
much sun will be OK in summer and possibly longer. I would start with the
best candidates and maybe try fruiting veges (tomatoes) next year as these
could be a disappointment.

Sorry this seems a bit like 'oh here's another newbie wanted all the
answers!' but I just wanted somewhere to start.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Go to the local library and get some books on container gardening,
preferably in a cool climate.

David