Old 15-04-2013, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Help?

SamM3124 wrote:
Hey guys and gals!

Hope all is well with you all.

I am moving into a new apartment in a couple of weeks, the apartment
has a small balcony that I wanted to make the most of. I was thinking
about growing some herbs and maybe some vegetables. I live in
Birmingham UK and wanted to know if anyone had any
tips/suggestions/hints etc. I have never done this sort of thing but
am very interested in starting to make use of my new space.

I was thinking of getting a couple of balcony boxes that hang from the
railings and maybe a floor one - not to sure yet as I want to make the
most of the space (maybe a couple of chairs too!)

Any particular herbs and/or vegetables that are good to grow on a
balcony? Any ideas how to get started etc.

Sorry this seems a bit like 'oh here's another newbie wanted all the
answers!' but I just wanted somewhere to start.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Unless the balcony is concrete, anything you put there should have a woter tray
under the pot, and that should be raised up so there is an airspace beneath it.
Otherwise, it will rot the balcony floor.