Old 16-04-2013, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Natural Girl Natural Girl is offline

Default Help?

On 4/14/2013 10:02 AM, SamM3124 wrote:
Hey guys and gals!

Hope all is well with you all.

I am moving into a new apartment in a couple of weeks, the apartment has
a small balcony that I wanted to make the most of. I was thinking about
growing some herbs and maybe some vegetables. I live in Birmingham UK
and wanted to know if anyone had any tips/suggestions/hints etc. I have
never done this sort of thing but am very interested in starting to make
use of my new space.

I was thinking of getting a couple of balcony boxes that hang from the
railings and maybe a floor one - not to sure yet as I want to make the
most of the space (maybe a couple of chairs too!)

Any particular herbs and/or vegetables that are good to grow on a
balcony? Any ideas how to get started etc.

Sorry this seems a bit like 'oh here's another newbie wanted all the
answers!' but I just wanted somewhere to start.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Hii .. I've only been reading here some recently and I hope it's OK for
me to respond to your question even though it's my first post here.

I've been doing some organic container gardening, too. If you wanted to
grow something in cool spring to warm (not hot) summer, green peas (snap
peas or sweet peas) grow well in pots. You can put in a wire trellis
for them to grow up, and if it's a big pot you can plant then on the
back side of a large planter and then plant something else in front of
them like onions, or patio type tomatoes.

Prepare the soil with bagged potting soil + about 1/3 of bagged
composted manure. You can companion plant many things together like
that, you just have to make sure you don't forget to water the
containers regularly.

--
Natural Girl