Old 16-04-2013, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Grow it Magazine.

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 04:25:04 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;981021 Wrote:

I bought it from a supermarket and posted once on here about it.

Christine, you haven't told us yet ..

that my name isn't Christine.

you got a spam email from them, so they know your email address.

But how?

I bought one magazine from a supermarket and posted about it here.
Of course they got my e-mail address from here.

Let's say I buy the same mag from a supermarket and don't have a
computer and tell you all about it.
Will they write to me?
Of course not as they have no idea I bought it.

Christina,

I've just sent you a test email.

If it arrives O.K. then it will demonstrate that anyone who looks at this
news group can get a valid email address for you.

If you post about a magazine and include the name of the magazine in your
post then it isn't too difficult to tie you to the magazine.

A simple use of Google shows
http://gardensfurniture.co.uk/united-kingdom/206792-grow-magazine.html

A simple Google of 'Christina Websell' shows your posts and an email
address all over the place.

I would expect that if you have an address of
'
then any address such as ' should also
be delivered to you.

The advice about posting to Usenet used to be to use a sacrificial email
account or an invalid email account because otherwise you were inviting
loads of SPAM.

Where you get an email account which includes your name as the last
component of the domain (and is usually designed to allow you 'unlimited'
email addresses) then merely publishing the email domain name is likely to
make you vulnerable.

I doubt that anyone's email account would need to be hacked to target you
with this particular email.

I note that you have deliberately avoided confirming that the email you
received from Grow It Magazine had any personal information included
beyond your name and a valid email address.

I think you may have gathered from other responses that it is generally
considered unlikely that Grow It Magazine would have gone to the trouble
to hack someones email account just to be able to send you an email
message.

It is more likely that someone has trawled the gardening news groups and
web sites for valid email addresses using conventional search tools.

It does not, however, reflect well on Grow It Magazine if they are sending
unsolicited emails.

Have you checked that it is, in fact, from Grow It Magazine and not some
phishing attempt?

I think you should be approaching them (assuming it was a valid email) and
asking them where they got your email address and also that they show you
where you opted in to receive marketing emails.

http://www.out-law.com/page-4222 suggests
"The Code states that the explicit consent of consumers is required befo
"marketing by e-mail or SMS text transmission, save that marketers may
market their similar products to their existing customers without explicit
consent so long as an opportunity to object to further such marketing is
given on each occasion.""

As you have posted that you bought the magazine then you have identified
yourself as an existing customer which gives them some wriggle room but
assuming it was them, this is clearly not in the spirit of the Code as you
didn't knowingly supply them with an email address.

Regards

Dave R