Old 17-04-2013, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Monkey Puzzle Trees

On 17/04/2013 11:41, echinosum wrote:
'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;980927']Most nurseries or garden centres would be able to get you one
if they do
not stock it. The cost varies, but they are not cheap plants as they
are very slow at first. You can reckon on paying around £10 - 15 for a

plant less than 1 foot high, and maybe £40 - 60 for a 2 - 3 feet plant.

Above that they get very expensive; you would be hard pushed to find a

5 feet plant for less than £100 - more like £150 - 200. Look around for

one which has a straight trunk and regular growth, although if a bit
uneven at first they tend to grow straight as they get older.

They establish better if planted into the ground when smaller, so
although the wait is longer you'll have better success rate if you buy a
small one. They grow in fairly high rainfall areas, so do need watering
when small, but become quite resistant to drought when well established.
A very experienced gardening friend has killed two now, so they can
take a dislike to you.

I've had one for about 15 years. Started off about 20 cm high in a 15
cm pot, and was transferred to a 45 cm pot a few years ago. Just before
we moved last September it was about 1.5 metres in height, and we were
looking forward to putting it the ground at the end of the lawn in out
new house. When I finally got round to doing it I noticed that the
growing point looked dead - no doubt the removal company had dropped
something on it. :-(((

We'll give it a year to see what happens. I've never seen an Araucaria
where the growing point was damaged. I assume it throws several
branches and eventually one becomes the new leader. But it just won't
look right, will it? So a replacement may be necessary.

--

Jeff