Old 17-04-2013, 10:15 PM posted to alt.politics.uk,alt.politics.british,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
Farmer Giles Farmer Giles is offline

Default Simple explanation of Thatchers legacy.

On 17/04/2013 21:42, Christina Websell wrote:
"andy ston" wrote in message
Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of M.Thatcher was
in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning classes.

Any others spring to mind?

I'm not going there. Whether or not we liked her policies she was a fine
strong woman. I was with her during the Falklands war because all the
islanders want to be British.
I remember it well when the Argentines put their flag up on the Falklands.
I was at work at the time and I said to my colleagues "this will be very
serious"
It was war. Whether it was right I don't know.
Argentina claim the Failkland Islands are theirs. Britain claims the
Faulklands are theirs, islanders identify as British.
I see this going on and on.
Simple. The islanders are all very clear they are British so bad luck
Argentina when Maggie bombed you to bits.

I can't say I agreed with her all the time, she starved the miners back to
work as she said they were holding the country to ransom.
Nevertheless she was a remarkable politician. First female prime minister
we ever had and I hope we have another.
Hey, she was fiercer than me..

In truth she cared litle more about the Falklands than she did for the
miners. The Falklands War was all about saving her political skin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/jun/28/falklands.past