Old 17-04-2013, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Let it be Let it be is offline

Default Simple explanation of Thatchers legacy.

Bob Hobden wrote:
"andy ston" wrote ...

Is it possible to explain to say a child what the legacy of
M.Thatcher was in simple terms?

1. Making trade unions more democratic
2. Not allowing one sided nuclear disarmament.
3. Clearing out some of the influence of the old land owning
classes. Any others spring to mind?

Put the Great back in Britain.

Yep, a country of great greedy *******s - and sod the rest of us!

Stopped us being called the "sick man of Europe" which we certainly

And made us the 'sick man' of the rest of the world with her policies!

were. Got rampant inflation under control (remember 26% inflation?).

Yep by increasing VAT from 8% to 17.5%, (which included utilities at that
rate) slamming up my income tax and NI insurance payments, etc, etc!

Got the countries finances under control.

Yep, sold off the gas, electricity, water and railway companies to the
highest (foreign in general) bidder to do that!

Won three election the last with a bigger majority.

Sne *NEVER* won a majority of the people vote - her 'wins' IIRC were
actually won on low percentage turn-outs!

Bit the bullet and got rid of uneconomic industries that had only
survived with taxpayers money. (harsh but true)

She not only did that, but she also forced economic firms to close as
ell - and to replace them with the thieving banking system that we now have
(exacerbated by new labours policies)

Increased Industrial and coal production over her terms. (surprising
to some)

Yep she closed the countries mines and sold off the steel plants - and
increased the imports of these from China etc.

She did well didn't she, brought out a new 'class' of people called YUPPIES
and then when she closed the factories, mines and steelworks, she paid for
their dole and benefits by using the money the country made from North Sea
oil and gas - and when the dole queues became too long, she massaged the
figures by telling the medical profession to take them off the dole and sign
them onto the newly invented (just for her) invalidity benefit - thus
starting of the 'benefit culture) that the three stooges we now have in
power are rather clusmsily trying to stop.

No, Maggie wasn't great - just a bloody con artist.- and I won't go into the
other things that she tried to cover-up.