Old 18-04-2013, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Advice on my overgrown garden (inc pics!)

On 2013-04-18 17:19:08 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ...

I doubt very seriously that taking cuttings is a skill that has been
acquired by that garden owner, as yet! The 'scorched earth' policy
would rather argue against the likelihood!

Funny you should mention the scorched earth policy but some years ago a
young couple, she was Polish, moved into the house next door to us that
had a well planted mature garden and proceeded to cut everything in the
garden down at soil level, mature fan trained apple trees included.
These dead trees and shrubs were then left there for about a year, the
apples with apples on them, until they were eventually gathered up and
burnt in the middle of the lawn. Gradually it grassed over again, it
did look choice. She told us she was going to get it landscaped but
never did, it was actually landscaped before she killed and burnt
everything.

The OP might want a green rectangle but even so, he's gone a difficult
way about it. Ask first before acting should be engraved on every set
of house deeds! But seriously, it did make me a little sad to see what
was a carefully planted garden, lending 'just out of sight' interest to
a not-huge-plot and screening from neighbours, simply flattened!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com