Old 19-04-2013, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Advice on my overgrown garden (inc pics!)

On 2013-04-18 23:01:55 +0100, Martin said:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:19:08 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ...

I doubt very seriously that taking cuttings is a skill that has been
acquired by that garden owner, as yet! The 'scorched earth' policy would
rather argue against the likelihood!

Funny you should mention the scorched earth policy but some years ago a
young couple, she was Polish, moved into the house next door to us that had
a well planted mature garden and proceeded to cut everything in the garden
down at soil level, mature fan trained apple trees included. These dead
trees and shrubs were then left there for about a year, the apples with
apples on them, until they were eventually gathered up and burnt in the
middle of the lawn. Gradually it grassed over again, it did look choice. She
told us she was going to get it landscaped but never did, it was actually
landscaped before she killed and burnt everything.

Somebody moved into a house across the road. One weekend the owner and
about ten of us friends spent the weekend cutting down and grubbing
out a leylandii hedge. The following weekend the owner planted a new
hedge - leylandii again. When I asked him why, he told me his wife
thought the original hedge had leaves that were too dark and added
that he knew that the new hedge would end up the same colour as the
old, but she didn't.

That is just the most extraordinary waste of time, money and others'
good nature I've ever heard of! What a really mad thing to do!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com