Old 28-02-2003, 06:04 AM
B & J

Default Seedling transplanting question

"Tony" wrote in message
news:B38C122CEB31E7EF.C07E6E004AFEE168.B47EBC8AD79 ...
I've been starting a lot of seeds indoors the past few weeks. I think

that
for most of them it would be safe to move them outside in the near future
since our days lately have been in the upper 60's and nights in the upper
50's.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to take the seedlings out during the day, but
don't place them in sunlight for a week or so until they're hardened. If the
temperatures drop into the 50's or lower at night, haul them back into the
house. Some seedlings such as cucumbers can't handle cold night
temperatures. I don't think I'd plant sunflowers inside but sow directly
where I want them to grow. They grow so rapidly that starting inside isn't
necessary, but if you've started them, by all means plant and leave them
outside as long as there is no danger of frost. Sunflower seedlings that are
planted and grow outside handle cold temperatures well.

Don't plant most seedlings below their initial level into the soil. It isn't
necessary. Even planting tomatoes deeply isn't necessary, but if they are
too leggy, they do develop roots along the stem. Personally, I don't like
leggy tomatoes.

John